Gigi is a Miami-Based Wedding Photographer and available for travel worldwide. She hand makes photographs specifically created to remind couples of the unique love they share with each other as they embark on their new journey together as man and wife. Every time they look at their photographs – they feel incredibly grateful to have found their soul mate.
Tell us a little about yourself and your photography.
I’m an introvert but I can spark conversation and make friends with anyone very easily. I think this has helped me as a wedding photographer because I’m able to communicate with my clients in a way that’ll allow me to capture who they really are with each other. That’s what my style of photography focuses is on… your relationship with your life-long partner.
Why did you start taking photos?
I’ve always carried a camera on me since I can remember. All throughout my childhood, I was always the girl who took photos during holiday parties, outings with friends, etc and uploaded a gallery via social media the very next day for everyone to see and share. Photography is just part of who I am. I like being a creator of memories… it’s beautiful to me.
What is your secret when photographing weddings?
I wouldn’t say it’s a “secret” as I am an open book when it comes to helping other photographer’s in the industry. With that said, one thing that I think is important when shooting weddings is organization. For me, a thought-out timeline that’s been created by both, you and the bride and/or event planner, is crucial in order have things run as smoothly as possible. Weddings aren’t perfect but you can prepare for the best (& plan for the worst) when you have order throughout the day. My timelines are thorough and even include a personal timeline for myself for the wedding day that let’s me know what time I need to get up, eat breakfast, take a shower, etc. (FYI: I also have an equipment checklist which is packed the night before every wedding). All in all, organization would be one of my “secrets” to photographing weddings.
How do you capture the love and feeling of a wedding?
When I’m “clicking the shutter”, I’m only posing my subjects about 20% of the time. The remaining 80% of the time, I’m simply capturing the natural reactions of my clients through my direction. This allows me to move my clients “into the pose” instead of having them awkwardly stand in a position that they wouldn’t normally be in if I wasn’t telling them to. The result of working like this is a natural look of the real love a couple shares. They’re all unique relationships.
How is Miami different from other places for weddings?
I am lucky to say that I live in paradise. Yes, there’s the ocean, the palm trees, the high-rise condo buildings, etc, but for me, Miami is different and has embraced my passion for photography through it’s diversity and with its acceptance of a wide array of cultures that you rarely see anywhere else. It’s allowed me to showcase my work without the fear of being me. I’ve also met some incredibly interesting & dynamic people along the way who I’ve learned a great deal from AND have turned into friends.
You have built a solid business and have a great website where you make even bigger promises 🙂 How do you make time for yourself in all of this?
Again, organization. I micro-manage my micro-managing (if that makes any sense). From cataloguing a lead to delivering the final product, there is a specific workflow that I follow and little systems within that workflow that make things much easier for me (imagine an ant farm). An important part of my scheduling is at the end of the day when I close my laptop at 6pm and do not open it until the next day when I’m ready to work (rarely are there exceptions). This is my husband’s favorite “step” in my “ant farm” workflow. ;p
What are some other photographic projects you enjoy working on?
I really enjoy second shooting for other wedding photographer’s when I’m available. Although they aren’t “my projects”, I treat them as such. I learn something new at every wedding I shoot, whether it’s mine or not. Experience is my main source of knowledge. You can never get enough of it.
What kind of a camera and lenses do you primarily use?
I’m a proud Nikon girl. =] My camera body is a Nikon D7000 and my preferred lenses for weddings include my Nikkor 35mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4 and my 24-70mm 2.8. I use the 24-70mm about 50% of the time. It is my favorite lens.
Can you name some tips for those who want to start a photography business?
I can go on and on here on “tips” for starting a wedding photography business but one piece of advice that’ll help you more than anything else is… to be YOURSELF! No one knows how to do that better than you and in a pool of hundreds of thousands of wedding photographers, this is really the best (& easiest!) way to stand out.
Thanks GIGI for taking the time to talk with me on your passion and showing us some of your work.
Check out GIGI’s website for more information: